I’ve got one of the first copy as a preview of this new book, the Blender 2.6 Cycles: Materials and Textures Cookbook, by Enrico Valenza (http://www.enricovalenza.com/). It is brillian 3D Artist, illustrator and Art Director, and also known for being the Lead Artist in the Big Buck Bunny production and in other projects in which I was also involved.
Blender 2.6 Cycles:Materials and Textures Cookbook
Now It’s very hot here in Italy and we are preparing for summer holidays… so I’ll do only a short review to explain why this is a valid and valuable book and why every cycles beginner and also expert user should have it.
- The book covers everything for cycles, from the Blender system configuration to every shader node
- There are many references to Blender Internal renderer so those accustomed to the previous engine can understand by examples and comparisons
- Covers all the creative and artistic side of cycles, limiting technical details and render settings, focuses on what cycles is conceived: the easier creation and previsualisation of complex and realistic shaders and materials.
- In addition to the preset shaders of cycles, explains how to create natural materials, man-made, organic and so on.
- At each stage of creating a scene the user is guided step by step with screenshots and clear indications, so even inexperienced users will find themselves at ease following the book since the early chapters
- For advanced users are explained techniques for creating effects such as fake water caustics, optimized translucent materials, architectural glass, and much more
Cycles fortunately is in continuous development, so it is remarkable the author’s choice to make available for download two chapters for advanced functions (as soon as they were developed) of which is still little documentation online
I heartily recommend purchase this book to anyone who has intension to use cycles to create 3D scenes with photorealistic look and for those who want to create animations and render faster thanks to optimized materials. Is also very useful for novice users who want to learn how to use cycles, even starting from the blender internal engine
How to buy